Sunday, November 4, 2007

Cormac McCarthy is right

For all of my three readers out there, this thing will probably start to get a little more personal. I've been leaning a bit hard on the politics, but I've come to the realization that there are probably more than enough blowhards out there yapping about how much Bush sucks or rules--I don't need to be constantly adding to that pile. But, I promise, I still won't talk about my feelings.

I said: It starts when you begin to overlook bad manners. Any time you quit hearin Sir and Mam the end is pretty much in sight. I told her, I said: It reaches into ever strata. You've heard about that aint you? Ever strata? You finally get into the sort of breakdown in mercantile ethics that leaves people settin around out in the desert dead in their vehicles and by then it's just too late.--Cormac McCarthy, No Country for Old Men
I sat at a wedding last night while the best man gave a speech that may have been a bit long, and he may been a bit preachy for some by quoting Biblical passages, but that was his time. He laid it out there the best way he thought, and I respected that. Lots of other people didn't, and it was all I could do to restrain myself from slapping them upside the head (women too!) and saying, "Look, you self-important little snobs--this isn't your time to talk about your new apartment, it's his time to talk about his brother getting married. Shut the f#$% up, eat your free food and drink your free alcohol and give the man his due respect." It wasn't one or two people, either. More like 20 or 30.

Bad manners.

No comments: